Monday, April 25, 2011

Second Skin Reaction

I want to point out that I was not in class for the first session of Second Skin, nor do I play online games.  As a previous poster mentioned, my interaction with video games is limited to Solitaire, Hearts, and occasionally Minesweeper. 

I'm also one of those people who has to do something on a regular basis.  I hardly ever even make it through an entire movie because I can't sit still for that long and I feel so unproductive just "sitting there," I like to be doing productive or active things. 

I have known a fair amount of gamers and although I don't understand why they can be addicted to those games in particular, I do understand addiction in general.  The majority of addictions are unhealthy for us: alcohol, drugs, food, shopping.  Addictions can come in any form and it doesn't surprise me that video games are one of them.  Everyone who is addicted to something has a reason why and many of them do contain the escapism aspect. 

I don't understand these types of addictions, but I don't judge the people who are affected by them either.  Nor do I think that addressing them in the same 12-step-program kind of way is appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment